The Deerfield Historic Village
517 Deerfield Road, Deerfield, IL
a summer afternoon at the Village.
Open for tours on Sundays, from 2 to 4 p.m., from June through September.
For school and group tours call 847-948-0680.
Village consists of five buildings dating from 1837 to 1905 that offer
you a look at a typical prairie community.
Caspar Ott Log House, 1837
The one-room log home where journeyman tailor Caspar Ott and his wife,
Maria Elizabetha, raised their seven children is the oldest standing building
in Lake County. In 1970, just one week before it was to be demolished
the house was discovered under the plaster of the dining room in the Siljerstrom
farmhouse. The building was moved to the Historic Village by the Historical
In the early 1990s, the Historical Society began a fundraising campaign
to restore the building and move it to a new site at the Village. In 2001,
the cabin was restored to its original appearance by the Historical Society
with funds from members, local organizations and the community. Now the
house stands as it looked 170 years ago.
George Luther House, 1847
This is a well preserved example of the larger ìthree room log
cabinî built before the arrival of the first sawmill in 1850. After
the Civil War, the house was modernized by the addition of Greek Revival
white siding and green trim. The building houses a visitor center with
Bartle Sacker Farmhouse, 1854
Nicknamed ìThe Little House on the Prairie,î this two-story
frame house is furnished with artifacts typically used in the daily life
of an active farm family. To view photos of the farmhouse being moved
to the Historic Village from its original site at 1428 Waukegan Road,
Little Red Schoolhouse, Circa 1890
One of the most popular buildings in the Village is this replica of a
19th century one-room school furnished with period school items. Every
child in District 109 attends class for one day at the schoolhouse as
part of their local history program.
Carriage House, Circa 1905
Antique carriages and farm equipment are housed in this replica. The Carriage
House was built with materials salvaged from four area buildings, and
the first four carriages were put on display in 1984.